The Nether Regions

The blog that slips an affectionate hand between the thighs of the regional media

Stop the world, my bin won’t close

with 3 comments

It is a truth universally acknowledged that 73% of regional news coverage relates to wheelie bins (the other 27% comprises 18% about ASBOs for flashers and 9% about dog mess). There are few matters proven to be capable of riling locals quite like a wheelie bin that either goes unemptied for a short period or is rendered missing. In this case, though, the buggers won’t bloody close.

Take your finger out of the way and it might close.

Incredibly, the man in this photo is called Arthur Chance. You couldn’t make it up.

Cambridge News, 18 November 2009:

New bins so pretty – pity lids don’t close

FAMILIES took delivery of new blue recycling bins yesterday – to find they were defective.

Dozens of frustrated Cambridge residents received the long-awaited bins which will make recycling easier. […]

But some residents in the Chesterton Road area have been given bins which have lids that do not close, prompting fears of “smelly and fly-infested” summers.

Chef Bogumao Klczkowski, 26, who lives in Chesterton Road, said: “The old bins were not so pretty but at least they closed. As a chef I would never allow bins like that. If you cannot close the lid they will attract flies and smell. It is just not acceptable.”

It’s a relief we’ve  been able to have the crucial chef’s perspective on this  fufore.

Why is it so often the case that the most interesting quotes come from people who don’t want to be named? Is it because they’re lying?

Another Chesterton Road resident, who did not wish to be named, collared the council worker when he received the dodgy bin.

He said: “I told him that the bin was defective and that the lid didn’t close. He jumped on top of it and said: ‘It closes now’. I was shocked.” […]

Waste strategy manager Jen Robertson, who is overseeing the massive bin roll-out, said the council had so far received two calls from residents with dodgy bins.

“We would not advise residents or delivery people to jump on the bin and I will be looking into what happened.”

Link: New bins so pretty – pity lids don’t close.

Advertisements

Written by Paddy

February 5, 2010 at 8:58 am

3 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I think that the feller who was planning to visit Cambridge after vowing never to set foot in Nottingham again ought to be told about this. It could tip him over the edge on his visit…

    Jon Lymer

    February 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm

  2. A “massive bin roll out”? I’d be happy with just the normal size domestic bin.

    MKTBFFS

    February 7, 2010 at 12:01 pm

  3. MAN IN SAME HEIGHT AS WHEELIE BIN SHOCKER

    BANDY

    February 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: